Sunday, March 31, 2013

#Slice2013: Day 31 of 31 - Stick a Fork In Me, I'm Done!

 
Writing my final slice of life for the month of March ushers in a variety of emotions. A sense of completion and accomplishment envelops me as I type my last blog post of the challenge. Although many of my submissions were published late, I am proud of my efforts. Next year I will be more diligent about replying to other's slices, and I hopefully this experience will keep me motivated and inspired to continue writing on a regular basis.
 
This weekend, I began reading a new professional book by Jennifer Jacobson titled, No More I'm Done: Fostering Independent Writers in the Primary Grades. Mrs. Barnes, my third grade teacher suggested it, and I know I can always count on her recommendations to inspire me. I love what I've read so far, and as the SOLC draws to a close, I can appreciate the impulsive nature of a six year old who raises his hand and declares, "Mrs. _____, I'm done!"
 
 
I don't plan to quit writing any time soon, and I realize now the commitment art requires. Diligence, steadfastness, and a willingness to stick to the task at hand are necessary if we hope to maintain writing momentum. I think of Jeff Anderson's book, Ten Things Every Writer Needs to Know, in which he encourages young authors to spill their words on the page. I also think of Angela Duckworth's axiom to Choose Easy, Work Hard.
 
For today, I'm declaring victory. I made it to the finish line, and I'm glad I joined in on the fun. I want to thank all of the other slicers who took the time to comment on my posts, and I appreciate Ruth & Stacey for hosting the challenge.

"Stick a Fork in me. I'm Done Tile Coaster

3 comments:

  1. I love the title of your post, as I often use this phrase myself at the end of long days. Congrats on making it here and thanks for the writing resources. Perhaps I'll see you some Tuesdays?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I too love the title of this piece and love how you linked it to the texts and to your students! I have enjoyed reading YOUR writing and look forward to seeing you on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Thank you for the Duckworth link. Years ago I read The Having of Wonderful Ideas, but I haven't seen her TED talk. Here's to the month, cheers! See you on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete