Thursday, March 12, 2015

The Climb, #SOL15


Sometimes I say crazy things in the classroom like, "You are brilliant scholars children. Now kiss your brains!" or "If you don't write your name on your paper, I will have to pluck your eyebrows out!" Silly phrases like these cause the kids to chuckle, and I'm often surprised by the comments that stick. 

Today I discovered two learning artifacts that prove my kids are absorbing the message I've shared about grit, perseverance, and tenacity. On the first day of school, I told my class together we would climb academic mountains. I frequently reference this metaphor, and I remind the students often they will take this trip with me even if I have to drag them kicking and screaming. This afternoon, one of my precious girls handed me a card she had made, and when I opened it, I couldn't help but giggle a little when I saw her drawing. 


In preparation for tonight's Open House, I finally got around to reading some of my students' papers about what they wanted to be when they grew up. One particular child's paper caught my attention, and as I read her composition, I my heart swelled with pride. Sometimes we don't realize the impact we have until we stumble across a treasure like this one.


On certain days, the climb in the classroom seems too steep and the obstacles appear insurmountable. Thankfully, we have days like today when we get to see the fruits of our labor. I am grateful to be a part of the greatest profession on Earth, and I think Miley Cyrus's song, The Climb, may be my class anthem for the rest of the school year!



4 comments:

  1. Awesome - what treasures those words are from your young students. The Climb is an excellent analogy for students - and sometimes we forget how hard it is for many of them. The implied sustained effort is really important. Thanks - nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ellen! You are correct that the climb is treacherous for some of our precious kiddos.Our job is keep them moving forward. I appreciate you taking the time to read my post and share a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your students are so lucky that you climb that mountain with them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great!!! That would make my day too.

    ReplyDelete