Monday, March 7, 2016

Sacred Space #SOL2016

It's no secret I'm not a huge fan of Open House. There's a lot of pressure to put on a dog and pony show, and I always feel compelled to do cutesy arts and crafts stuff, which is definitely not my thing. Our campus served In-N-Out burger prior to the main event, and I had about an hour to just chill in my classroom before kids and parents arrived. I switched on all my lamps, put a fresh Scentcy block in my warmer, and played some soft instrumental music while I prepared for evening.

As I stood back and looked at my classroom, a place I spend almost 10 hours a day during the school year, I realized I like the environment my students and I have co-created. It's cozy, inviting, and tranquil. I am blessed to have a job I love on most days, and I get to work with some amazing people. My students are eager, determined, and full zest. They make me smile. They make me scream. And most of the time, they make me proud.

Gratitude abounds for the priveleged, sacred space I call Mrs. Shade's Fourth Grade Classroom.


Parents beamed as their precious kiddos showed off all their hard work!





8 comments:

  1. How fun! We do our open house early in the year, the first week or two. I might like it later in the year, once we have work to share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly! We have Meet the Teacher in the fall, and Open House provides another opportunity to connect with families.

      Delete
  2. How great! I'm with Holly, I'd like to do ours later in the year so we could show off the work kids are doing. Also, sometimes Open House is the only day I get to see them for the whole year. :(

    I adore your learning space! I would love to curl up on one of your couches to learn (and most definitely fall asleep!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a Meet the Teacher Night in the Fall and Open House in the spring. It's a lot to tackle, but our community seems to enjoy the events.

      Delete
  3. I love those comfy couches that you have. They rae so inviting to learning. What a great space for your students to grab a book or two! I would like to be there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My couches are my favorite part of my classroom. I've had some tough days where snuggling up was the only way to make it through. Thanks for your kind comment.

      Delete
  4. Your classroom looks beautiful! I get the whole things about arts and crafts thing not being your thing - I can totally relate; however, you created a space that reflects a lot of caring and coziness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your room, Mrs. Shade! It is a great space.

    ReplyDelete