Saturday, September 15, 2012

Rumbling Reflections




  • The culture of scarcity permeates our schools. (*See Daring Greatly by Brene Brown - http://www.fastcompany.com/3001239/3-ways-kill-your-companys-idea-stifling-shame-culture)
  • Without reasonable goals and clear direction, teachers and students disengage.
  • Conceptualizing something from nothing frustrates a learner.
  • The tyranny of the urgent robs us of reflection time.
  • Children are hungry for a sense of autonomy.
  • Disengagement breeds rebellion.
  • Staying on top of your game, when the rules are constantly changing, ushers in feelings of defeat.
  • The resistance wins because we are too busy to pause and consider reasonable solutions.
  • We ask our teachers to do the impossible. (*See Volmer’s List - http://www.jamievollmer.com/pdf/the-list.pdf)
  • Cultural messages like “There’s not enough time. I don’t have enough. I am not enough” damage our spirits.
  • I am quick to judge what I don’t understand.
  • Leaning into the discomfort of others requires awareness mixed with courage.
  • It’s difficult to be a reflective listener when you are solution oriented.
  • We spend way too much time talking about the wrong things. State standards, common assessments, and best practices only have value if our students engage in the learning process.
  • Our aversion to failure perpetuates shame.
  • Embracing struggle is an acquired skill.
  • Stories make everything better.
  • I wish some days had a reset button.
  • Gratitude breeds hope.
  • To maintain balance in my life, I must frequently revisit my personal mission statement .

2 comments:

  1. What I love about this post is it (in a rather humbling way) reminds me to extend the same grace to both myself and other teachers around me that I give to students. I am so passionate about providing a safe growth climate and scaffolding to an individual students needs, when it comes to small people. I get irritated with myself when I am not doing all things to a perfect standard. You're list makes me stop and once again see myself and those around me as the students.I must apply this to both myself and as I work with other teachers around me. We (the professionals) are learners. We must be listened to in reflective ways. We are people that need restart buttons, stories and differenciation in our learning. We need permission (which I have in my school....I just don't give it to myself) to not be overtaken by the urgent so that we rob ourselves of reflection and thus.......learning. When I am not sensitive I don't extend this safety to other teachers. I think I should print out this list and read it everytime I get frusterated. Can you tell I kind of loved this post? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Beth,

    I agree that extending grace to ourselves and to our colleagues is an extraordinary challenge. My tolerance for my students' uniqueness and shortcomings far outweighed the the acceptance I offered my coworkers and friends. Now that I am working primarly with adults, I find myself battling my own character defects of critisicm, self-righteousness, and judgement. Every day I have to repeat the following mantra in my head. Sometimes it works. Other times it fails me.

    "At the end of the meeting/at the end of the day/at the end of my life, I want to be able to say, I contributed more than I criticized." ~Brene Brown

    I appreciate you taking the time to post a comment on my blog, and I am certain we are bossom buddies. (Did you ever read, Anne of Green Gables?)

    Have a peaceful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete