Friday, March 29, 2013

#Slice2013 - Day 25 of 31: Losing the Battle & Back Tracking


It happened.
I lost my momentum.
I almost gave up.

For the last week, I did not make time to slice. I let the other demands of the day take precedence, and the tyranny of the urgent won. My commitment to writing daily weakened, and I kept telling myself I would get back on track. I wonder if this is how all humans feel when they are trying to form good habits or kick a bad one?

Earlier this week I noticed the following Facebook update on my newsfeed. Jennifer is a friend from high school and we keep up with each other through socia media. Like all of us, her resolve to quit drinking soda was tested, and in a moment of weakness, she caved.


Habit building and habit breaking are HARD. I heard a profound line from the T.V. show Necessary Roughness in which a therapist told her client, a recovering alcoholic, that sobriety was a war and he should expect to lose a few battles. I condsider this sage advice for all of us.

I read Charles Duhigg's book, The Power of Habit, last summer and unfortunately, I have not successfully created a habit loop that includes writing daily. However, it's Good Friday, and I don't have school today. I want to play catch up. I want to finish what I started. I want to perservere in the face of failure. I will post my 31 slices of life, and I will celebrate once I accomplish my goal.

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business

No comments:

Post a Comment