Friday, November 14, 2014

Laudable Literacy Leader


This week I had the privilege of learning from one of the most laudable literacy leaders in the field of education. Our language arts coordinator, Sandy Brown, made the event possible, and our "Do the Write Thing" team jumped at the chance to be in the presence of greatness. I spent the day absorbed in literacy conversations, and I left the professional development session with a renewed sense of passion for writing instruction.

Lucy Calkins engaged us with storytelling. The way she described writers workshop made me want to rush back to my classroom and say things like, "Off you go writers!" and "Write in the air with your partner." She challenged us to think about our school's Writing Bill of Rights, and she reminded us that with quality instruction, kids' work should dramatically improve before our eyes. Her colorful language and honest opinions pushed us all to dwell in big ideas, and I found myself reflecting on the power and importance of voluminous writing. 

Learning opportunities like these are rare, and I recognize how lucky I am to work in a school district that values professional development. Our day with Lucy is one I will treasure for a lifetime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment