Thursday, March 26, 2015

Ridiculous Rainbow , #SOL15

My student teacher climbed on a ladder today and covered every anchor chart in my classroom. It looks like the circus came to town. Apparently the lawmakers in the great state of Texas have nothing better to do than to make up stupid policies that have no value or validity. It would be a true crime for a ten year old to rely on visual supports during standardized testing. Forget the research behind the importance of scaffolding for young learners. Nope! Our students are considered cheaters if they glance up at a poster they've relied on all year to help them hit their learning targets. The standardization movement is out of control.

This nonsensical rule is truly preposterous. As I walked out of my classroom this afternoon, I paused to look around. This whole scene reinforces my belief that something must change. I've been slapping paper over my anchor charts for far too long. It's time to stop the madness. I want off this crazy carnival ride. 



4 comments:

  1. Yep! We are doing the same thing here. But this year we have to cover ALL content- science, social studies, etc. Really? Ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved you analogy, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved you analogy, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen!!! Looks colorful though :-)

    ReplyDelete