Monday, April 20, 2015

My Scent


The scent of Downy dryer sheets pleases my nose immensely. I tuck them in my pillow case, and when I wake up, my hair smells like clean cotton mixed with a gentle spring breeze.

I got a whiff of my second favorite aroma during my evening walk. As I rounded the bend in the trail, the smell of sweet honey suckle rushed through my nostrils. All of a sudden, I was nine years old again, and my siblings and I were carefully pulling the stems off the tiny white and yellow flowers. Hoping to catch a tiny drop of liquid sugar on our tongue, we would inhale the fine fragrance and savor the syrupy taste. When memories are tied to our olfactory nerves, nature's perfume transcends time and space.


1 comment:

  1. Oh Tenille,
    Honeysuckle takes me back to childhood, too! Mom had it growing on the fence around our back yard. I treasured the liquid sugar, too. The fragrance is a gentle reminder of a home and comforts me in ways that I didn't realize until I was an adult! I love learning that we share similar memories!! Treasures!

    ReplyDelete