Sunday, February 28, 2016

If I'm Honest . . . #SOL2016


In early February, Tweets about the 2016 Slice of Life Challenge surfaced in my newsfeed, and if I'm honest, I cringed a little. As a former slicer, I know the joys of participating in the 30-day challenge. However, life has recently thrown me some uncomfortable twists and turns, and I haven't felt like my regular, gung-ho self. I'd resolved to take a year off until a few members of my tribe texted and invited me to join the party. I also stumbled across a powerfully honest blog by Pernille Ripp, who constantly forces me to rethink my position on a plethora of educational issues. Like Donalyn Miller, she gave me the gift of going second as she bravely told the truth about finding herself in a dreaded reading slump, and I figured if these courageous educators could power through, so could I.

So tonight, I'm reluctantly taking the plunge. With guilt-edged obligation and a sense of professional responsibility as my companions, I choose to engage in the irritating and gratifying act of writing for thirty days straight. My hope is that my passion for writing will resurface, and once again I will rediscover the bliss and wonder of words.

Francesca Battistelli's new song, If I'm Honest, beckons me to bring my brokenness to the blogosphere. May the month of March bring healing, hope, and a rekindled desire for growth.


6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're taking the plunge, Tenille!! It is really difficult to take on this challenge when you're in the midst life's twists and turns. I, too, hope writing this month brings about the healing you need. I love Francesca Battistelli, and this song strikes the perfect chord for the SOLSC community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Holly! Thanks for the kind comment. I love seeing a former nerdy book club friend here in the blogosphere. I had not considered how the song might resonate with all of the risk-taking teachers willing to bravely share their stories. I love the theme you chose for 2016, and I wish you the best of luck on your move.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you are doing this, too. Maybe the writing, or the thinking about writing, will help you navigate those twists and turns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my sweet friend! I look forward to stumble along this journey with you! You are precious to my soul!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so precious! I admire you very much! May this process be healing for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is sometimes important to walk away from things. It sure makes the return that much sweeter. I hope you find some sweetness this month.

    ReplyDelete