Friday, March 4, 2016

Grandparents, Commitment, & RFD-TV #SOL2016


My grandparents, who are now in their mid 70's, raised my siblings and I after CPS removed us from our parents' care in the early 1980's. Thanks to their love, dedication, and sacrifice, I am a functional adult. The values they instilled in me continue to shape my world view, and every resiliency I possess can be traced back to the stability they provided. 

Now in my mid-thirties, I attempt to call home at least once a week. For many years, Nora often referenced a show she and Jay regularly watched on RFD-TV. Each time she'd mention Rural America's Most Important Network, I would think of my small town upbringing, and fondly recall memories of growing up in a close-knit community.

On several occasions, she made remarks about a singing duet named Joey & Rory who captured her attention and brightened her world. She often commented on the overall-wearing cowboy and his musically talented bride, and I remember her telling me about the day their down-syndrome daughter was born and the horrible news of her cervical cancer. 

I've followed Rory's gut-wrenching blog for the last few months, and although I am not intimately familiar with their music, I found myself teary-eyed and emotional each time I read his heartfelt words. The commitment he felt for Joey reflects the complicated love my grandparents share, and as I watch Nora and Jay enter their twilight years, a deep sense of gratitude surfaces. After suffering a massive stroke last December, Nora graciously cares for my cantankerous grandfather, and thanks to her compassion and tenderness, he's still with us today. 

Tonight I read on CNN that Joey went home to be with our heavenly father. I am sure Nora has seen the news and shed a few tears. I would not know this beautiful couples' story were it not for my grandmother's gentle spirit, and as I watch the video below, I feel compelled to tell others about this powerful story of hope, commitment, and loyalty. Sincere condolences go out to the Feek family. The love you've shared has inspired millions, and I tonight I am thankful my grandparents and RFD-TV.







6 comments:

  1. Love your honesty... And I love being your friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto Tara! I think Roscoe and Lefors have a lot in common. I bet your parents have watched RFD-TV too.

      Delete
  2. I am so thankful for you and your ability to appreciate those around you! We too have been following this blog and have shed tears tonight! I love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never really knew who the Feeks were either until Rory's blog caught my attention. I have been following this blog for months and praying for them everyday. I was so sad to see that she had passed away. The heavens have a new angel today. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have been captivated by Rory and Joey's story and actually wrote my Slice for tomorrow about Joey's death. Your story, and your grandparents story, adds a layer of meaning. I really believe the more we share our stories, the more connected and better we all are. Your grandparents sound incredible. My grandparents were an absolute treasure in my life, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love you and your beautiful words!

    I, too, have watched, read, and cried along with the Feek family.

    What a week!!! I adore and appreciate you!!!

    ReplyDelete