Sunday, March 4, 2018

Slice of Life Day 4: Lovin' Our Life Together

I'm crafting my blog this evening from a hotel in north Austin, not far from where Chris lived when we first met. During the winter and spring of 2007, I would trek from Fort Worth down south, anxiously awaiting the surprises he'd have have planned. One weekend, he sprinkled colorful paper butterflies all over his dinning room table. Another weekend, we headed to the Oasis to watch a gorgeous Texas sunset. Each trip was full of anticipation, connection, and budding love. By May, we'd decided to get married, and since his kiddos were relocating to Grand Prairie, it was a logical move for him to join me in Burleson. He often talked about returning to Austina place that represented new beginnings, acceptance, and inclusivity.

Fast forward eleven years, and we're back where it all began. As a classroom teacher, I'd sporadically get the chance to travel with Chris to conferences he'd attend around the country. Now we both have jobs which require us to make frequent trips to Austin, and although we don't live here, it sometimes feels like our home away from home. Our road trips are always filled with rich conversations about all thing education, and often we either read or listen to audio-books. Today, as we drove from Houston to Austin, Chris read a few chapters from Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain. To make me laugh, he'd periodically throw in his Hank the Cowdog voice, which you can enjoy by clicking on the video below.


Witnessing Chris read aloud to these 4th graders made me fall in love with him all over again. His humorous spirit and advocacy for teachers is unparalleled. He's a quirky, passionate guy, and I'm so incredibly grateful he is mine. Doing life with him is always an adventure, and I'm thankful he can tag along with me this week as I prepare to present about Texas Lesson Study at SXSW Edu. 


This guy makes me giggle, supports my independent streak, and loves me with abandon. I am eternally grateful for his authenticity, his servant's heart, and his brilliant mind. I know this week I'll return to the hotel each evening with my mind on fire from all I've absorbed and learned. He will patiently listen, reflectively question, and thoughtfully respond. I am truly blessed to be taking this journey through life with him by my side. 

slice of life

This post is part of the 11th Annual Slice of Life Annual Story challenge, hosted by Two Writing Teachers, a month-long challenge to write daily by inviting participants to share a snapshot of life through writing.

1 comment:

  1. I am so thankful for the two of you! What a fun season for the Captain and his Tenille!

    ReplyDelete