Monday, March 5, 2018

Slice of Life Day 5: Conference Jitters


Image result for sxswedu.com

A few month ago right before Christmas break, Sheel Jagani, a program specialist from the Texas Education Agency, contacted me via email to see if I'd be interested in presenting with a small team of #TXLS facilitators at SXSW EDU. Of course I jumped at the chance, and now that I'm hours away from attending, I'm feeling a bit anxious. Several colleagues from ESC Region 11 mentioned how uniquely different this conference is, and as I thumb through the program guide, I am instantly overwhelmed. So many of the sessions seem geared towards policy wonks and ed-tech folks. I feel like a little fish in a big pond, and insecurity gnaws at the surface. 

The morning keynote is presented by The Moth. When I looked up their organization online, their tagline reads, "True Stories Told Live". I'm hoping this entry experience will alleviate all the anxiety I'm experiencing. FOMO threatens, and I worry I'll attend the wrong sessions. Perhaps my small town upbringing leaves me feeling a bit unsteady as I prepare to participate in this internationally known event. Last year, my favorite thought leader of all time, Dr. BrenĂ© Brown, presented a session titled Daring Classrooms. However, this year when I browse the schedule, I see no names I'm familiar with which makes me feel inadequate and uninformed. I don't like not knowing. 

My word for 2018 is Unwind, and as I type this neurotic blog, I am realizing I need to chill out! This day holds treasures untold, and if I just calm down and embrace a beginner's mindset, I'm sure everything will turn out just fine. When you vomit your scattered, maniacal thoughts on the screen, you quickly gain perspectives. Perhaps this blog is just what I needed to talk myself off the ledge, and settle my fidgety, restless spirit. For anyone still reading, I hope my bleeding apprehension hasn't caused your heart to race. I'm thankful for this safe space to process through my convoluted, human emotions.

slice of life

This post is part of the 11th Annual Slice of Life Annual Story challenge, hosted by Two Writing Teachers, a month-long challenge to write daily by inviting participants to share a snapshot of life through writing.




1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to hear about your week! i am sure you will meet amazing people who will be challenged and encouraged by spending the week with you! As always, take amazing notes!

    ReplyDelete