Friday, March 1, 2019

Day #1 of the 2019 Slice of Life Challenge: Returning to My Roots & Spreading My Wings (Again!)


Got to share a favorite picture book today with this rockstar group of first graders at Young Elementary School in Decatur, Texas to celebrate Read Across America Day!

The Tweet below by Bob Goff, the author of the New York Times Best-Selling book Love Does, captures the essence of all I've experienced in the last few years, months, and weeks. 


As I have transitioned roles once again, I find myself wondering about the title of my next chapter. Two weeks ago, I started a new job as a district deployed literacy coach in Decatur ISD. One of the things that drew me to this district was their thoughtful tagline: Strong Roots, Powerful Wings.

Image result for decatur isd
Growing up in a rural Texas town, I know what it's like to live for Friday night lights and bus trips to a neighboring county for championship basketball games. I have fond memories of the school library, teachers who loved me into being, and wide open spaces to roam and explore. Returning to a semi-rural community after almost 20 years of teaching in urban areas has opened my eyes to another side of life again. There's a tug in my spirit as I take a backroad through the countryside on my drive to local school. 

Each time a new adventure begins, I always wonder where the road will lead. What new relationships will unfold? Will there be mountains to scale? Have I made the right decision? Ultimately, I try to trust the process and grasp for glimmers of gratitude each day. As I spread my wings across six campuses and twelve grade levels, I am sure there will be lots to learn. Some days it will be smooth sailing, and other days I'll flap my wings in pure desperation, praying to stay airborne. 

After seven years of partial and full participation in the March Slice of Life Challenge, I always return hoping to find inspiration, momentum, and renewal. Writing offers us the chance to pause, reflect, and look towards the next chapter with anticipation. I'm glad to be bac. Thanks to roots and wings, I hope to finish this month-long long writing challenge a changed human. 

Image result for slice of life

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new job! Challenges and new learning opportunities will bring you much joy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get it.. did the same thing in 2008. It's refreshing and I wish you well!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete