It's funny how certain memories are colored by the books we read, the music we listened to, and the cars we drove. Five years ago, my husband and I hit the open road on a Saturday morning headed for New Orleans to catch a cruise ship setting sail for Belize. Along the way, we listened to the audiobook of All Joy And No Fun, pausing often to wax philosophical about the beauty and battles associated with parenting. Upon arriving at the parking garage near the port, we decided to enjoy a cold beer at 11:00 a.m. Sitting in the trunk of my 2011 Honda Civic, we sipped on Angry Orchard and Blue Moon, discussed fond memories of previous vacations, and talked about how life was changing now that our oldest son had headed off to college. We'd just become empty-nesters, and we were preparing to sell our home and move into an apartment. It was Spring Break of 2014, and although we'd cruised before, this trip stands out in my mind as one of my favorites. Each evening after a long day of sightseeing and action-packed excursions, we'd head to the dining room for a decadent three-course-meal, sing along during a theatrical performance, and end the night with some avocado ice cream or a fruity cocktail. I'd wake around 1 a.m. to the sound of my husband's snoring, and I would plug in my headphones, blaring Sara Bareilles to drown out the noise. In my mind's eye, I can still picture the giant praying mantises Shann, Austin and Robbie tried to outrun as I turned the pages of Andrew Smith's Grasshopper Jungle.
Tomorrow, we're headed back to the Big Easy. Once again we are hopping on a boat and setting sail for the Carribean. Spring Break getaways with Chris are my favorite, and I know we will form new memories. I've downloaded new music, added several titles to my book stack, and will swing by Total Wine before heading out of town. This time we will travel in a Buick Encore and board a different ship. However, the company I'll keep hasn't changed. I am even more in love with him today than I was five years ago. Cheers to the adventures ahead!

Books, music and beer - good building blocks for memories, but the best bit of the memory is the lovely company. Your slice is filled with love for your husband. Wishing you a wonderful journey!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds pretty amazing. Sounds like you are doing life the right way. Have a great time, and don't forget to stop and have a beer from your trunk.
ReplyDelete