Lounging on our outdoor patio furniture on a quiet Sunday evening, I took a long, meandering trip down memory lane. With a glass of wine within arm's reach, I snuggled under a blanket and nestled my MacBook on my lap. Screen-after-screen, I read through almost two decades of old blogs—smiling, cringing, and wondering how one human being could evolve into so many different versions of herself.
Although my current blog only dates back to the winter of 2012, I did a little sleuthing, and I found the first blog I ever wrote.
In January of 2004, I was twenty-five years old. My youngest half-sibling, Trinitie, had come to live with me a few years earlier, and although I had no business trying to raise a tough teenager who'd attended 33 public schools across five states before finally graduating high school, we'd found our way to one another. Trin discovered a whole world in the JoeUser blogging community and she wooed me in, like a moth to a flame. Across the span of five years, I posted regularly—asking tough questions, pondering big ideas, and eventually meeting and marrying the man I love. Through my blog, he would learn intimate details of my life, and in many ways, I think it's what drew us together. An Old 97's song rang in my ears as I reread a short post about the day he asked me to marry him.
These blogs were time capsule, transporting me back to significant moments that defined and redefined my life. As a self-proclaimed historian, I decided to screenshot each blog, just in case someone ever archives the JoeUser website. Hours slipped by as I read through each piece. It was during the second half of my twenties that my faith unraveled, and so many of my posts oozed with uncertainty, insecurity, and doubt. My final JoeUser blog was dated June 16, 2009, composed just days after my thirtieth birthday. I'm 41 years old now, and the girl I wrote about in those blogs feels like a stranger.
It appears I took a three year blogging hiatus, which I now attribute to completing graduate school. Writing Momentum, my current blogger home, has been sketchy, sporadic, and unpredictable. However, I'm so glad these blogs exist. It's March 15 which means we've almost made it to the half-way point of the challenge. It's also Spring Break here in Texas, and one pattern I noticed looking back across the last few years, is I often fall off the slicing wagon during this specific week. My hope is this journey through the past will keep me grounded and writing. I want to stay the course this year and finish strong. Writing is so damn hard. But the hard stuff is always worth it.



A wonderful evening spent on memory lane, and you have so much writing to help you remember the person you were in that moment. Now I'm inspired to go and visit my slices from years past.
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking the time to comment, Chris. I love how you wrote, "remembering the person I was—in that moment". We are shape shifters for sure. Hope you enjoy your own trip down memory lane!
DeleteI am a fan of nostalgia. Obsessed with old journals. This is not dissimilar! It’s so important, I think, to honor the journey and understand your process. I love that you spent time remembering the Tenille of various pasts and do hope you’ll continue Slicing! I would be so sad if you didn’t, as you’re one of my daily go-tos. Xx
ReplyDeleteBefore blogging, journals were my jam. I appreciate you swinging by to read my posts. I so look forward to devouring your beautiful pieces each day as well!
DeleteI love seeing these past posts and I too find myself lost in my old posts. Such a time capsule - thank you for sharing. I will checking in on you - you've got this. Just about half way there!!!
ReplyDeleteClare, thanks for checking in! How are you holding up with the two broken arms situation? I appreciate your tenacity and encouragement more than you know.
DeleteWow! That's quite a time capsule. It is one of the things I love about participating in Slice of Life. At the end of the challenge I have captured a snapshot of a year. Like you, I return to these upon occasion and am always reminded of the person I was at that time. I couldn't manage writing last year - it was all so much - but now I wonder what I would have captured had I pushed myself to do it.
ReplyDeleteIt's good to know where the challenge gets tricky for you. Maybe that will be the knowledge you need to push through the hard parts.
Good luck!
Cathy, thanks for the encouragement and the reflections. I admire you for recognizing your limitations a year ago, while simultaneously holding space for what might have been. You've been such a dedicated member of the SOL community. You inspire so many!
Delete