Monday, March 1, 2021

Day ①: Slice of Life Challenge 2021

 


"We become what we contemplate." ~ Plato

As I contemplated joining the Slice of Life Challenge this year, I had to muster up some serious courage and reach out to new colleagues. Throughout this ongoing pandemic, I've had seasons where reading felt really hard. During March and April of last year, I could hardly pick up a book, but thanks to audio platforms like Libro.fm and OverDrive , I was able to reenter the magical world of stories through my earbuds. As 2021 dawned, I set some lofty monthly reading and writing goals. It didn't take me long to realize my writing life is on life-support. 


During March, I'm choosing the word "contemplate" as my monthly mantra. As we approach the one-year anniversary of the pandemic, I find myself feeling raw and reflective. The amount of upheaval and uncertainty we've collectively experienced leaves us wobbly and vulnerable. Per the Latin root, I plan to use this space as a place of observation. 


I'm looking for a thread or a through-line to help me write each day. I sort of need a theme to keep me grounded, but something inside of me resist the urge to box myself in to a single topic. In years past, one of my favorite things about this challenge was moving through the world a bit differently—studying and waiting for the universe to show me what I should write about. As much as I loved the spontaneity of this approach, I wonder if it's the reason I often abandoned the project mid-way through. 

I'm genuinely hopeful I'll have some new colleagues join me on the journey. This layer of accountability helps me stay focused on my purpose, which is really just to establish a daily writing habit for a least one month. I've found that making my goals public seems to help me continue marching towards them, so I'll close today's blog with my TBR (To Be Read) & TBW (To Be Written) list for March. 

Happy slicing everyone!

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're back this year, Tenille!
    This line resonated with me: "In years past, one of my favorite things about this challenge was moving through the world a bit differently—studying and waiting for the universe to show me what I should write about." I find myself living a more wide-awake life each March. It's funny how I look around looking for moments of joy (or craziness) to capture with my words.
    Love seeing your shelf above! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey, thank you for the warm thoughts. Returning to this community of practice each year always feels like coming home. Cheers 🥂 to discovering moments of joys and craziness to share with teachers, friends, and colleagues.

      Delete
  2. I can so relate to you about how reading felt really hard this time last year! I also had the same experience and it took me until this past winter break to get back in my regular routine. I hope you fall in love with writing again and find a groove from this challenge. Also- I love the idea of a TBR and TBW shelf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Macie,

      I must give full credit for the idea of TBR & TBW list to Katie Clements, a staff developer at TCRWP. I've always set reading goals, but writing is a whole other beast. Our reading lives ebb and flow, and I'm certain the uncertainty of the pandemic fractured my attention. Glad to be back here among other educators on a similar journey.

      Delete
  3. My lack of writing "for me" is what finally convinced me to sign up. I've been struggling, and this challenge just does so many things for me. You are not alone in the struggle. Here's to a month of writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always wonderful to know that others are experiencing similar challenges. I've enjoyed reading your blogs for several years, and I can't wait to learn and grow alongside you.

      Delete
  4. You never cease to amaze me. Excited to be on this journey alongside you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mallory, you have no idea how instrumental you've been in my desire to join this journey. I needed a fellow slicer in my day-to-day existence, and I've found that when I find folks like you, who are willing to risk vulnerability, life-long connections are formed. So glad you are here. Can't wait to read your blogs each day. You are a write, my friend.

      Delete
  5. Tenille! I loved reading this - just because I'm getting to know you all over this internet world. I too find accountability important. Adore your visuals, your honesty, and your need for a through-line. I need it too. So many of us do. Contemplate is a solid platform to stand on. I'll join you in that contemplation. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawal, I must admit, after Saturday's #LCC2021 phenomenal PD session, I'm fangirling a bit. The fact that you graciously replied to my blog speaks volumes about how you move through the world, ready to share, grow and nurture others. I plan to share the blog you posted today with every educator I know. Thank you for the kind affirming words regarding visuals. They help me process language in a weird way. Can't wait to continue contemplating together!

      Delete
  6. "..."Studying and waiting for the universe to show me what I should write about." THIS is living the life of a writer. I know the Universe will bring you many great stories this month. Happy writing!

    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. One day at a time ... take it as it comes. I'll be on the lookout for you ... it's like running with a group. You show up because you know they are there waiting for you - just you as you are with no judgement. This community is all that and more.

    ReplyDelete