⚠️Warning: At some point, this blog is going to get political.
Let's begin with something superbly positive.
Yesterday, my husband and I both got our first dose of the Pfizer Covid Vaccine. Woohoo! 🎉
The federal government set up three distribution sites across Texas, and since teachers were finally prioritized, I got an email on Friday directing me to show up at Globe Life Field on Saturday, Mar. 6 at 2:00 p.m. I wasn't sure what to expect, and I felt somewhat guilty about getting my vaccine before my husband. Chris had not registered in Tarrant County because he doesn't work there, but he decided to tag along, and we were both pleasantly surprised when a young marine made a magic yellow ticket appear out of thin air. The FEMA operation ran like a well-oiled machine, and the entire experience took less than an hour. Other than a little soreness in my arm, we are both side-effect free. The fact that the vaccine has been developed and distributed exactly one year since the world changed forever blows my mind just a little. I want to thank the scientists and the soldiers. We are grateful.
Onto the caustic blame . . .
This week I heard both Greg Abbott and Ted Cruz falsely blame hard working immigrants for problems they've refused to address. The most sickening part of their political theatre is how they deflect from the real issues in order to distract and agitate their constituents. Unfortunately, this tactic works all too well for many Texans I personally know.
To be clear—undocumented immigrants will not be eligible for a stimulus check because they do not have a social security number. Many of these individuals file their taxes every year using an ITIN number and even though they contribute to our economy, they will not receive a stimulus. (Thank you
Diana Martinez Flores
for this clarification.)When the governor of Texas erroneously tweets, "The Biden Administration is recklessly releasing hundreds of illegal immigrants who have COVID into Texas communities" I hope every Texan will do their homework before blindly accepting internal confirmation bias, which is seductive and dangerous.
Read.
Study.
Ask questions.
Listen.
Think.
Dr. Brené Brown reminds us, "Blame is simply the discharging of discomfort and pain. It has an inverse relationship with accountability. Blaming is a way that we discharge anger."
*Side Note: Although I usually avoid political discussions on Facebook, when I get fired up about specific issues, sometimes I can't help myself. I posted the second half of this blog on my page, and boy howdy did people have strong opinions. Geez.


As your slice pointedly demonstrates: these doings are personal and political, all at the same time.
ReplyDeleteI've studied a lot about identity politics, and I've grown to appreciate we cannot extricate or political ideology from our personal or professional selves. Thanks for reading and replying. Headed to your blog now!
DeleteIt's heartbreaking, isn't it? To watch "leaders" play politics with the lives of individuals. Our Missouri politicians play the same games. Keep using your voice to educate and inform. Many people will push back on you but I would guess there is someone out there that may be quietly mulling these thoughts and their head and may shift their thinking over time.
ReplyDeleteJackie, thanks for reminding me that quiet mullings can take time. How often do we read something that lingers and slowly shifts our perspective? I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog. Headed over to yours now!
DeleteI loved seeing the warning at the top of your post. I wrote about overtly political topics often, and they generally get ignored, as though isn’t a political choice. Everything is political, including the claim that one avoids politics.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on getting the vaccine. Teachers deserve the shot now. And thank you for speaking out about Cruz and Abbot. If you’re friends w/ Donalyn Miller on FB you’ve seen your fellow Texan speaking out, too. Keep getting political.
I appreciate you and your post. Getting the vaccine to help yourselves and those around you get back to the new normal as fast and safely as possible takes courage, and as your mentioned Brené Brown, I know you know that it also took an enormous amount of vulnerability for you and your husband to do so. Kudos.
ReplyDeleteAlso, things tend to get awkward when you call people out on their bullshit. That's the only explanation I can give for the backlash you received about your Facebook. I encourage you to keep doing so. that's how we create change! Be strong in your convictions and those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind!
Cheers!
I don’t mind you getting political and you did warn us. I hope yo don’t suffer too much from FB reactions.I appreciate how you dispel some lies told your fellow Texans to your fellow Texans. The quote on blame is fantastic- let’s talk about accountability instead.
ReplyDeleteLoved the warning, appreciated the pictures, elevating the political commentary. So, so necessary. Speak on it! Everything we do is political. Impossible to relegate our stories and selves to liminality.
ReplyDeleteRead/ study/ ask questions/ listen/ think— that’s the pillow I want, right there. Thank YOU for being here. Glad you and your man are protected now. And I’m so glad you won today’s community augmentation award! Xx