Several months ago, my husband told me about an invitation he'd received to attend a local event hosted by a couple we both deeply respect. I had limited background knowledge about the purpose of gathering, and when we arrived awkwardness and uncertainty caught me off guard due to months of pandemic isolation. A glass a wine helped take the edge off my nerves, and we settled in for what would become one of the most exhilarating and humbling experiences of both my personal and professional life.
Claudia MacMillan, a lifelong student of Donald and Louise Cowan who were visionaries in the fields of education, physics and literature, facilitates our seminar each week. Basically, we round-robin read a complex piece of literature, such as an excerpt from Parker Palmer's, The Courage to Teach. Ostentatious listening anchors the discussion, and the intellectualism in the room astounds me. Insecurity nips at my heels each time one of the high school English teachers or adjunct professors references a classic texts I've never heard of, let alone read. You're guaranteed to hear a plethora of Tier III words spoken, and each week I collect these tiny gems using the notes app on my iPhone.
At the core of each conversation is the belief that education—designed to liberate the heart and mind—is the only proper response to the needs of a democracy. As the hours pass each Thursday evening, we play with complex ideas, contextualize the present by excavating the past, and ask thorny questions which often have no answers. We are an eclectic group of educators who love nerding out over the difference between residual versus accretional learning.
This week, a line from the text stopped me in my tracks, and I immediately thought, "I have to blog about this!" In a chapter titled, The Three Moments of Learning, Donald Cowan writes the following . . .
I have not fully apprehended the difference between an "oh" moment and an "aha!" moment in learning. I invite anyone to share your interpretation and analysis in the comments.
How exciting to be part of "an eclectic group of educators who love nerding out over the difference between residual versus accrentional/learning". I'm not sure what accrentional means, but I recognize when educators are nerding out over educational discussions and know that there is nothing better--especially with a glass of wine!
ReplyDeleteTenille, I love that I could picture you out there at this event, glass of wine in hand, soaking up learning and conversation across the night. Glad to read your words again. XOXO
ReplyDelete