Friday, July 13, 2012

Summer Evenings

Last night I took a stroll around my neighborhood. Greeting new neighbors and chatting with an elderly couple reminded me of why I enjoy summer nights so much. The warm evening air enveloped me, and as I listened to music on I-pod, my heart filled with gratitude and wonder. I am blessed to live in land of the free and the home of the brave.

My mind wandered to the porch scene from the movie, Summer Magic. If you've never watched this Disney film, it is certainly worth your time. As a young girl, I could sit in front of the T.V. for hours singing along with the Ugly Bug Ball and The Pink of Perfection.




The summers of my childhood included moments of sheer joy and frightening bouts of terror. June, July, and August brought snow cones at the baseball field, bike rides around town, and trips to the lake. It also ushered in an increase in my grandfather's drinking, and I dreaded seeing him stumbling in at night, inebriated and belligerent. These memories stamped the DNA of who I have become, and last night, I was reminded of how lucky I am to have charted a new course for my family.


As I headed home, I thought of my students. What treasures and troubles do they face during the summer months? Struggle is an inevitable part of life. I hope whatever situations my students encounter, gratitude and grit become the by products of their experiences. 


Summer truly is magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment