Saturday, March 2, 2013

Pumped Full of PD



I've spent the last two weeks swimming in a sea of professional development and rigorous reflection. Lucy Calkin's February Mini-Institute blew my mind, going down in history as one of my all time favorite learning experiences ever. Visiting NYC and the Columbia Teacher's College was a treat, but nothing compares to power of becoming a student of your own impact. Upon returning to Texas, I was privileged to hear Allison Zumuda, a protegee of Jay McTighe, speak passionately about the value of creating authentic assessments aligned to your units of study. My final workshop included over one hundred instructional coaches packed into our professional development center here in Denton. With Ann Hoffman as our guide, we spent two all-consuming days learning about Jim Knight's newest book, High Impact Instruction. We composed guiding questions, learning maps, and formative assessments designed to engage teachers and students in more robust instructional practices. Blessing abound as I consider how privileged I am to work in a school district that honors and supports the continuous improvement of their teachers. With an overloaded brain and heart full of passion, I will keep placing one foot in front of the other, attempting to make a difference in the ever-changing world of public education.

No comments:

Post a Comment