Spring break is just around the corner, and the tension on my campus continues to rise at alarming rates. Kids are edgy. Teachers are cranky. And everyone is generally irritable. We have all reached our proverbial limit, and we've got four more days to go. Yikes!
I am convinced if you plotted staff stress levels on a school calendar, the weeks leading up to an extended holiday would be lit up like a Christmas tree. Although February has only 28 days, it was an excruciatingly long month. Between non-existent snow days, Valentine's parties, STAAR benchmarks, and TELPAS collections, it's amazing any of us have maintained our sanity.
It's times like these I must remember to embrace the power of Gratitude. So today I choose to make a list of things I'm thankful for . . .
1. Sheira noticing personification in a poem and making reflective inferences about Rob's suitcase.
2. The opportunity to share my stories with engaged students who honor my past.
3. Teachers who willingly and cheerfully attended the after-school Family Literacy Night planning meeting.
4. Text messages from kindred spirits who are hungry to reconnect.
5. My cousin Brooke, who made me Ramen Noodles for dinner.
6. A quiet, uneventful Monday night at home.
7. Reading from a Line in the Sand and bringing Texas History alive!
8. Spring break looming on the horizon.