Monday, March 11, 2013

#Slice2013: Day 11 of 31 – Transformed by Twitter

Lazily relaxing in bed during the middle of a Monday afternoon, Chris and I spent over an hour scanning and sharing our Twitter feeds. He’d find an insightful article about curriculum, and I would stumble upon a powerful post about the ever-escalating revolt against standardized testing. Together we swapped links, shared photographs, and engaged in deep conversation about the woes of public education and the growing movement led by solutionaries like Dan Pink, Seth Godin, and Alfie Kohn.

In the midst of the dialogue, I paused long enough to realize how lucky I am to be taking this journey through life with a kindred spirit who shares my passion for teaching and learning. Chris’s gifts push me to new heights, and his creative spirit and risk taking nature inspire me on a daily basis. His innovation and thirst for technology are the reason I am now addicted to Twitter!

Over a year ago, Chris began a daily ritual of checking his Twitter feeds. I would peek over his shoulder and ask him what the fuss was all about. He attempted to explain the power of connectivity, and he patiently entertained my questions about hashtags, retweets, and other unfamiliar acronyms. While attending the National Title I Conference last January in Seattle, he actually met a few of the folks he conversed with on Twitter. A whole new world of acquaintances and colleagues emerged.

Although it took me awhile to dive into the increasingly popular social networking site, I am now a full-fledged "Tweeter". I follow my muses like Donalyn Miller, Penny Kittle, and Franki Sibberson. Their 140 characters keep me energized, and I have discovered an untapped wealth of free professional development. It’s astonishing how quickly you can form a habit, and I’ll probably check my feed at least five more times before I go to bed. You never know what golden nugget you might miss!

My professional world has been transformed by Twitter. Has yours? If not, what are you waiting for?
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment