Monday, March 18, 2013

#Slice2013: Day 18 of 31 - Wearing A Mask


When I arrived at school today, I rushed to the nurses office and asked for a medical mask. My fever blister trippled in size over night, and I could already hear the chorus of questions hurled in my direction from curious, concerned students.

Mrs. Shade! What happened to your face?
OMG! Are you okay?
How did that happen?
Will it leave a scar?
Does it hurt?

I almost stayed home in my pajamas today, but then I thought of Auggie, and I knew my colleagues and my kids would Choose Kind.

Everyone said I should channel my inner Angelina Jolie. A few folks asked if I'd had Botox. Most people just tried to minimize their reaction to the oozing, open sores on my upper and lower lips.

The fever blisters are revolting, but thankfully the deformity is temporary. In a few days the swelling will go down, and hopefully the pain will subside. I'll survive, and perhaps I will learn an important lesson about vanity.


No comments:

Post a Comment