Friday, November 28, 2014

Perched on A Stool

My seventy-two year old grandmother peruses the Internet on her Ipad, while my six year old niece devours a book published in 1920. 
I've read several blogs lately like Raising Sharp Readers and Magic about the power of books. These thoughtful posts leave me with a deep sense of gratitude, and when I consider the immeasurable joy I derive from reading, it's hard for me to imagine growing up in a home where books weren't shared, discussed, and celebrated. Nora discovered Zane Grey books as an elementary school child, and her love of literature has now been passed down through multiple generations. She defines the term, voracious reader, and her influence continues to impact tons of unsuspecting students who enter my classroom each year. 

My sister-in-law, Keli, posted the picture above on Facebook today, and I decided it was worth blogging about. My niece, Mabel, is an avid reader, and she finds great solace and engagement in books. Her parents are proud of her advanced reading level, and lucky for her, she has only had positive interactions with books. This image captures the power of reading in more ways than I can explain, and as I study the intensity present in both of their faces, I see hope, and satisfaction, and wonder in their eyes. Mabel is perched on the same stool I used to read on, and she has the world at her fingertips. The love captured in this photograph makes my heart swell. I am thankful to have grown up in this messy, wonderful house full of books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment