Tuesday, March 31, 2015

How Do I Know When I Am Finished? #SOL15


When my students sheepishly raise their hand to inform me they are done writing, I cringe. Whether we like it or not, writing is never really complete. Revision bursts with possibility, and as we wrestle with language we find novel ways to improve our craft. Tonight, as I write my final post for the thirty one day challenge, I feel a deep sense of accomplishment. I made it to the finish line, yet the somehow I know I will never really "arrive" as a writer. When I embarked upon this journey a month ago, I knew my final day of writing would coincide with our state writing test. With our first round of STAAR testing behind me, I can take a deep breathe and attempt to appreciate the beauty of language again. 

I've enjoyed reading my colleagues' blogs each night, and I cannot express how grateful I am to have had genuine, real-world friends take this ride with me. The 2015 Slice of Life Challenge will always hold a special place in my heart because folks I love and admire risked vulnerability and gave me a glimpse into their daily lives. So many of these talented ladies serve on our curriculum writing team, and as I draw my final post to a close, I'm reflecting on an essential question we included in our DISD Writing UBD overlay – “How do I know when I am finished?” Maybe we don't know. Maybe we just keep blogging, and as time passes, the world starts to make a little more sense. Isn't that what writing is all about?


4 comments:

  1. Great way to end your challenge. You really have a gift for writing. Keep it up my friend!! I am totally assuming I am one of your genuine, real world friends! 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm, like Tara, assuming that I'm one of those friends, too! I have loved hearing your voice every day through this challenge!!! What a joy it is to sit back reflect and wonder!! Thank you for this incredible journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, we keep on as we make sense of things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true...I tell my students that they're never done writing, and hopefully we aren't either! Thanks for your reflections!

    ReplyDelete