Saturday, March 28, 2015

Trippin' on the Triangle, #SOL15


If you asked my family members where I live, most of them would say, "Tenille lives in Dallas." They would then proceed to complain about the horrific traffic and crowded highways. In their minds, I am in the middle of an urban nightmare, and it seems easier to just lump the whole DFW Metropolis under the heading Dallas than to explain the concept of three unique cities tied together by massive interstate highway systems. 
Today, Chris and I drove the triangular path between Denton, Fort Worth, and Dallas. We headed out around 10:00 a.m. after dropping off a few books at the Denton Public Library. Our first destination was the Tarrant County Courthouse located in downtown Fort Worth. The Save Texas Public Schools rally began promptly at 11:00 a.m., and we were motivated, inspired, and encouraged by the large group of concerned citizens who showed up to express their support of public schools. A talented group of students from Kids Who Care performed moving song and dance routines, a passionate mother eloquently explained the negative affects of standardized testing, and the outspoken superintendent from Perin-Whitt ISD, Mr. John Kuhn, rallied us all to take action and stand up for Texas public education. As the sunshine warmed my face, hope ignited my soul. Change is on its way. 


After a yummy lunch at Riskey's Barbecue in Sundance Square, we headed east towards uptown Dallas. Interstate 30 seems to be constantly under construction, but thankfully we made it to Klyde Warren Park by 3:00 p.m. Chris laid out a blanket and napped while I toured the park looking for lesson plan ideas. This urban playground built over a major freeway buzzed with activity as city dwellers looked for an escape from the concrete jungle. Fountains danced. Kids splashed. Music swayed. The intoxicating sights and sounds overwhelmed my senses, and after about an hour of exploring, we headed back to our car, ready to return to the top of the triangle. 


It's almost 8:30 p.m. now, and I am sitting on my balcony typing this blog. Cars zoom up and down the interstate, and airplanes fly overhead. Our unplanned trip around the triangle made a seemingly boring Saturday quite delightful, and the gorgeous spring weather rejuvenated my spirit. North Texas is my home. 

2 comments:

  1. Good for Texas teachers! That park looks phenomenal! Your enthusiasm for your Texas home shines through your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great. So happy to hear about dedicated public school supporters and most of all I Love seeing people out in the sunshine. Today I was driving in snow. Yes, still !
    Digital Bonnie

    ReplyDelete