Sunday, March 29, 2015

Task Avoidance, Procrastination, & Perfectionism #SOL15

I'm composing this blog to avoid working on a lesson plan I agreed to write for Klyde Warren Park. This daunting task mocks me, and I feel frozen and paralyzed. I visited this urban green space yesterday hoping to find inspiration, but nothing has bubbled to the surface. I am battling some serious anxiety. Perhaps it's because I said yes when I should have said no. Or maybe I don't want to create something crappy and useless. The shame gremlins whisper, "Who do you think you are?" as I type and delete sentence after sentence. Why am I stuck? What is causing all this unnecessary mental anguish?

Perfectionism is a cruel task master. To avoid the negative internal dialogue, I stall, sidestep, and skirt the problem. I mindlessly peruse Facebook and Twitter. I take walks. I read books. All forms of distraction are welcome. A few minutes ago I decided to read about the history of Palm Sunday on Wikipedia. Really? And now I'm posting a blog. Anything to dodge this dreaded task. The deadline inches closer, and I know I must bite the bullet and complete the assignment. Tenille,  you tell your kids they can do hard things. Quit making hard things harder!



1 comment:

  1. You name two beasts that make hard things harder. Procrastination and Perfection. I am where you are today---but with my taxes. Today I have five hours to put together my taxes for seeing my accountant in the morning. I am procrastinating. I no longer need perfection--it used to take me weeks on end to prepare my taxes. I am happy that I slew one of the ugly beasts. Today I slay the other! Good luck with your work.

    ReplyDelete