Sunday, March 20, 2016

Count Your Many Blessings, Name Them One By One #SOL2016


When incompetent airlines overbook their flights and fail to provide adequate customer service, I furrow my brow and think disgruntled, impatient thoughts. 

When fellow travelers rally together, looking out for one another’s best interest, I smile and think of how lucky we are to meet benevolent strangers.

When my husband patiently begins composing a lengthy, well-articulated message addressed to the offending company and posts it to their Twitter page with the hopes of it going viral, I sigh and think about how grateful I am for his steady, level-headed reactions to unexpected life events.

When the guy next to me offers to switch seats so Chris and I can sit beside each other on the three-hour flight home, I nod and say thank you and think about the power of a small act of kindness.

When I peek out the airplane window and gaze at snow-covered mountains below, I close my eyes and think about how small and insignificant my problems seem.

When I reflect on our spring break adventures and swipe through the photo stream on my IPhone, I pause and think about the priceless memories we created and the moments of pure joy we experienced together.

When I finally crawl into my comfortable bed after a day full of mishaps and misfortunes, pulling the soft, Downy-smelling sheets up to my chin, I snuggle up next to the man I love and think about the joys, struggles, and blessings this life has to offer.


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had quite the journey! Glad for all the positivity :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it is hard to turn a negative into a positive, or at least to not dwell on the positive. Thanks for writing a post that is a reminder of this. Hope you have a great week ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is why we have setbacks and challenges; so that at the end of the day, we can count our blessings for family, home, and love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is why we have setbacks and challenges; so that at the end of the day, we can count our blessings for family, home, and love.

    ReplyDelete