Thursday, March 7, 2019

#SOL 2019 Day 6: Caught Up in A Curation Frenzy

Do you ever get so caught up in a task, you completely lose track of time? Last night I was so hyper-focused on curating STAAR passages by genre, I completely forgot to slice. Doh!

After spending the day unpacking benchmark results with a delightful group of teachers in a neighboring district, I realized how helpful it would be to have what TCRWP calls a "treasure chest" of resources to help with torturous test prep. We now have over seven years worth of released selections, but they are not organized by genre. One by one, I downloaded, sliced, and uploaded all the selections by grade level and text selection type—in two languages. Clipping PDFs is a lot more time consuming then I imagined! Needless to say, I know this task will make our teachers lives easier, and my job is to lessen their burdern—supporitng them as they toil in the trenches. My final task is to create an aesthetically pleasing way for teachers to access the materials. Next steps? Start doing the same work for grades 6 - 8!

A Side Note: There's so much buzz on social media about how the STAAR reading test is too hard, and now Texas has made it into The New York Times. After sifting through a sea of selections, I'm convinced this reading test does very little to create authentic readers in the world. The text is demanding, the questions are tricky, and the kids find the labor-intensive task so stinkin' boring.

Image result for slice of life

No comments:

Post a Comment