Thursday, March 11, 2021

Day 11 #SOL21: Contemplating A New Day

 


It's a new dawn
It's a new day
And I'm feeling good 

A full night's rest, a warm cup of coffee, and a little Michael Bublé always makes the world feel less heavy. 

The fall of 2008 feels like a lifetime ago. The fading memories of our first shared concert experience linger in my mind, whisking me to a simpler season of life. Chris and I had been married just a little over a year, and we'd weathered the most challenging parts of blending families. Hunter and Chandler were entering their preteen and adolescent phases, and we'd recently moved into a 600 square ft. apartment in Coppell. 

My thoughtful husband secured tickets to a live performance with Michael Bublé, and when he shared the news, I erupted with anticipation and giddiness. I've never been a big concert-goer, so this would be a special night for just the two of us. Bublé's smooth, melodic voice has always had a way of lifting my spirits and his big band tunes stir a nostalgia deep inside. I couldn't wait.

Looking back at these old photos ushers in a wave of emotions. Still being newly married, there was a naivety and youthfulness about how Chris and I moved through the world then. For the first time in his life, he'd grown his hair out long and I had quite a few less wrinkles. We were a care-free couple enjoying a date night, and I was so in love with this man. I still am. 

Because I woke up with the lyrics to Feeling Good coursing through my mind, I knew I wanted to write in response to the music. I didn't realize it would take me on a trip down memory lane. Writing has a way of pulling us in directions we didn't know we needed to go. Perhaps after reading Melissa's gorgeous poem last night, I was inspired to reminisce and remember my own love story. Sometimes I'm unsure of where ideas flutter in from, but this morning, I'm thankful for music and how it transports us to another time and place. 

It's a new dawn
It's a new day
And I'm feeling good 




2 comments:

  1. This is so sweet, refreshing and complete. Loved learning more about you and your love, and appreciate the reflection at the end too. I never expect where my writing takes me either ...it’s a beautiful thing. Loved too Melissa’s poem!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is clear that you two have built a solid foundation to continue to grow your love story. These photos will always serve as a visual reminders of the early promises you made to one another. How lucky for you that you get to spend a lifetime together.

    ReplyDelete