Sunday, March 13, 2022

Let Me Do This: A Shared Dance—#SOL22, Day 13

 

I'm standing at the bar waiting for my drinks.

I feel a gentle hand on my shoulder, and I turn to see my handsome bonus son standing behind me. 

He's gussied up in a tuxedo. I give him a fierce hug, congratulating he and Serena on the perfect wedding. 

"The father-daughter dance is next. After Serena and Joey's song ends, I'll dance with mom. I want you to join me on the dance floor half-way through the music. Be ready."

I reply, "Oh Hunter, you don't have to do that. It's a thoughtful gesture, and I'm thankful you'd include me, but it's not necessary." 

Hunter doesn't skip a beat. "Let me do this, Tenille. It's important to me." 

I return to the table where we're sitting, a bit flabbergasted. The relationship between a son and his mother is sacred. I'm a bonus. However, I've never really felt like a mom. Hunter, who has his father's heart, made a conscious, and perhaps difficult choice, to honor me in this way. I'm flooded with feelings I can't quite capture in words.

The DJ starts the music, and a glowing bride and her dad sway across the dance floor. I stand next to Chris, squeezing his hand. I can't help but think about a future wedding, where he will dance with Chandler, whispering kindness and wholeness into her ear. The love he has for his children astounds me.

The song changes. Hunter and his mom dance. She's proud of the man she's raised. He's a good one. 

Half way through the song, the DJ announces, "Tenille, Hunter's bonus mom, will now join him on the dance floor." Our son's smile is infectious. He is head-over-heels in love with his bride. I tell him how special he is, and I wish he and Serena a lifetime of happiness. I'll treasure this short dance for eternity. 

As the song ends, I look over at my husband. Tears stream down his face. He's overwhelmed with emotion. We embrace. Safe in his arms, I know I belong. 

6 comments:

  1. I'm crying. I've had an emotional morning, so this is icing on the cake. I'm so glad you had this special moment, my dear Tenille. My heart!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawal, thanks for the sweet words. Sorry the post ushered in even more feels. It was an emotional, life-giving evening for sure. I appreciate you being a faithful reader and a kind friend.

      Delete
  2. What a sweet story! This is a moment none of you will forget. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! Having just had my own wedding a few months ago, I can really feel how special this must have been for you and your bonus son!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful story. I am so glad you felt so loved. I have two boys myself and I wonder if they will choose to dance with their bonus mom?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am such a sucker for heart stories, and yes I have tears in my eyes! What a special, special moment.

    ReplyDelete