Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Conversation & Connection

“A good friend is a connection to life - a tie to the past, a road to the future, the key to sanity in a totally insane world.” ~Lois Wyse


Yesterday afternoon, I drank from the well-spring of companionship. One of my most treasured friends in the world, Penny Haight, willingly drove 25 miles north to meet me at a nail salon in Keller. As we sat in the air-conditioned shop getting our toes pampered, we shared our joys and struggles. We spoke. We listened. We connected.

Unfortunately, we didn’t solve the problems of the world, but we did experience authentic fellowship. Working through the details of our current circumstances provided an opportunity to be transparent and raw. We giggled. We reflected. We related.
As always, I hugged Penny’s neck when it was time to leave, and I told her how much I appreciated her beautiful spirit. Those few hours together filled up my bucket, and I am grateful for the exquisite relationship we share.
We parted ways, and I headed back to Denton to pick up another sweet friend, Yesi McClesky. The two of us were invited to a local Thirty-One Gifts party, and it was great to reconnect and converse on the short car ride to the event. Yesi and I met while serving on a district curriculum writing committee, and we have become soul sisters in just a short time. She is a strong, passionate woman with a heart of gold, and I always enjoy her company because she’s honest and genuine.  At the conclusion of the party, we decided to grab a bite to eat at a local Mexican food restaurant, and the evening slowly disappeared as we talked about our husbands, our children, and our careers.

When I got in the car to drive home, gratitude overwhelmed me. I have been blessed with some of the richest friendships a girl could ask for. As I’ve walked this journey called life, God seems to have winked in my direction each time He placed remarkable women in my path. I cannot imagine how lonely this ride would be without these significant relationships guiding and shaping my perspectives and passions. I’m so thankful for lunch dates, wise council, and a sense of belonging. Hip, Hip Hooray for girlfriends!

No comments:

Post a Comment