Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Powerful Prestidigitation, #SOL15



STAAR simulations take place on my campus today, and I've decided to take my metaphorical pixie dust and magic wand to school. All year long I have preached to my students that hard word, persistence, and practice are the keys to success, but after reading a friend's blog and listening to a favorite song from my youth, I'm starting to change my mind. I need a little prestidigitation today. 


The children I teach are exquisite little human beings. They are chatty, spunky, and full of zest. Like an effervescent Alka-Seltzer tablet, they bubble and fizz and pop. For four solid hours today, they will have to sit still and read selection after boring selection. There will be no talking. There will be no collaboration. There will be no fun. Unfortunately, I will have to wave my magic wand and turn them into little standardized robots. 


The entire instructional day is wasted, and the results of the test will tell me what I already know. It's really quite sad. You can see why I might need a some enchantment in my day. Like Samantha from the 1970's T.V. show Bewitched, I wish I could wiggle my nose and make this whole high stakes testing movement disappear. 


To make the day bearable, I plan to partake in a little GoNoodle, do some dancing between between passages, and maybe we will even read a beautiful picture book after the torture session has concluded. Hi-ho, hi-ho it's off to school I go. On my short commute, I plan to belt out Scarlett's fabulous song from ABC's hit show Nashville. I'm not under your spell stupid STAAR test!






10 comments:

  1. Amen sister...preach it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope today passed quickly and was surprisingly refreshing.....yeah, that is always my hope when my kids sit down to take it....well, at least I hope you were able to be productive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between Austin field trip preparations and the impending winter weather, the day flew by. I can't really say I was productive, but I was proud of how hard my kiddos worked.

      Delete
  3. It's over! I mean until the next time, of course. :( Now, maybe, we will get a bonus day off and spend Friday in Austin. I wasn't really sure about this blogging thing, but I'm glad that I folded under the pressure. It's kind of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that we give these benchmarks to tell us a lot of what we already know. I hope the day passed quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We weigh the pig a little too much if you ask me. Besides, STAAR is a single snapshot, and I prefer the whole album.

      Delete
  5. Amen!! I did the same thing last week:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Benchmarks suck. There's no ifs, ands, or buts about it!

      Delete
  6. I think you and Scarlett might be kindred spirits... except for the whole mental breakdown on stage part. It's just her endless optimism and talent for writing that reminds me of you. :)

    ReplyDelete