Thursday, April 9, 2015

From Where I Stand


From where I stand, this young lady deserves applause. The little girl in the video below is growing up in chaos. She comes to school each day with a smile on her face, and despite her SPED label, she is absorbing big ideas like inferring and making connections across text. This precious child reads on a level G, and she's made limited progress this year due to challenging circumstances at home, a severe case of dyslexia, and a lack of personnel to serve our neediest learners. When she approached me out of the blue today, I was reminded why I teach. Without prompting, she bounded up to my table to inform me she had made an inference while playing at the park the previous afternoon. If our legislators could only understand the mountains these babies climb. STAAR test results mean nothing compared to the pride this little girl feels as she proudly proclaims mastery of a complex learning target. Teacher observations matter more than stupid bubbles on a multiple choice test. 



1 comment: